Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Weekend Wine-Down


Now that fall has officially arrived and the temperatures are reflecting it, I have started getting back into drinking red wine. While I usually prefer a crisp, fruity white wine over anything else, there's nothing quite like curling up on a chilly weekend evening with a homemade meal and a nice glass of spicy, berry-full (yes I just made up that word) red wine. My particular favorite red is zinfandel.*

Luckily for me, the phenomenal, online discount wine club Lot 18 recently offered two bottles of 2006 Russian River Valley zinfandel for a whopping total of $17.00 (full disclosure, I had accrued a small credit on the site from getting some other people to sign up, but STILL). I opened it up last night after a long week of confusing international airports and catching up at work. Perfection.

Zinfandel is one of the boldest red wines, but it is amazing with cheese and crackers and a perfect friend to a plate of serious pasta with a heavy sauce. If you like cabernet or pinot noir but have yet to try out zin, you won't be sorry!

* This is full-fledged red zinfandel, but will just be labeled "zinfandel". By NO MEANS am I encouraging anyone to drink (gasp! horrors!) white zinfandel. It even hurt just to type it.

No comments:

Post a Comment