Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Cold Weather Skincare - Lesson One


As November is here and the holidays are around the corner, so is colder weather.* While we all work to find the perfect coats and boots to make us look as chic as possible while bundled up, it is also important to focus on what is underneath all those layers - our skin. Due to biting wind and cold, heat being cranked indoors, and the temptation to turn the shower to searingly hot when waking up or coming in from the snow, our skin takes a serious beating in the winter months. This isn't just unattractive - it can be itchy and downright painful when it gets out of hand.

Fear not, however, because there are ways to combat this. The BEST way is preventing your skin from getting dry and chapped in the first place. One of my favorite ways to do this comes from my sister-in-law. Two Christmases ago she gave me a homemade body scrub that is inexpensive and the most effective exfoliating/moisturizing scrub I have ever used.** Better than the fancy ones from Sephora, better than the best drugstore finds, and made from things already in your kitchen. This scrub is also devoid of weird chemicals and is eco-friendly (unlike some of those scrubs containing non-dissolving beads.) To some it may seem TOO humble, but 1.snobbery is not cute, and 2. that attitude prevents one from saving money for the important things like shoes and purses.

Try out this recipe, and I guarantee your skin will be softer and more hydrated than ever.

Combine these ingredients in a cute container that you will be able to deal with keeping in your shower:

2 c. sugar (I use granulated, but if all you have on hand is brown I don't see why it wouldn't work)

1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. honey
A few drops of flavorings (like vanilla, almond, or coconut extract) or essential oils (like lavender) if you wish

*For lucky girls in warm climates, this is still your friend. Using this pre-self tanning gives perfectly even results
**I have never used this on my face, and would not recommend it. While some people use oil-based cleansers and moisturizers, I can't imagine rubbing olive oil and sugar on one's face would bring anything good. I just wash my hands well with body wash in the shower before I touch my face again.

3 comments:

  1. Wish there was one for your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I will have to search for one for the face! My favorite way to exfoliate my face has to be the Clarisonic brush, though, and I will be featuring it in an upcoming Save or Spend : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certain kinds of oils can be very good for your face, actually. Shreve has a very good rundown of some in this post with good comments referenced too. The main point is to use very good quality.

    http://honeyrockdawn.com/2011/01/the-skin-skinny/

    ReplyDelete