Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Save or Spend - Makeup Edition


In light of the less-than-awesome state of our economy and the impending spending spree known as the holiday season, I decided to start a feature called "Save or Spend." While I realize this is not a revolutionary idea, I find that many of columns like this tell the reader what to save or spend on. My feeling is that the products we use and the reasons why we use them are personal - some people use expensive, scented lotion in lieu of using perfume, while others can't imagine spending more than a few bucks on a tube of mascara. Often, I find that what I buy depends on my cash situation at the time (for instance, one month I may get a bonus; another month, something heinous happens to my car.) You get the picture. So rather than anoint myself with the authority to tell you lovelies what to spend your hard earned money on, I've decided to just share my thought process for how I distribute my beauty funds, and also give options (that I have personally actually tested out) to those of you who also like to mix high and low.

Foundation
To me, foundation is worth a bit of a splurge. It essentially preps the canvas of my face for all other cosmetics, and can affect whether or not I break out/get too dry. When I am in a hurry, it also is one of the steps that I do not skip.
My pick: Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation
Thrifty option: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation (full disclosure: I haven't had the chance to test this out yet, but intend to, and I have used Maybelline foundation in the past without issue)

Concealer
I tend to think that pricier concealers are generally better than their drugstore counterparts in terms of coverage, consistency, and staying power. Remember, if a product doesn't do what it says it will to your satisfaction, it's not really a bargain. That being said, I have used one cheaper version before and it did a good job for the price - definitely helpful when your bank account is running on fumes.
My pick: Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat (it doubles as a highlighter - this saves money)
Thrifty option: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Brightening Eye Perfector

Blush
Lately, I have been using a pricier blush, but honestly because it is faster (it comes out of the tube clear, adjusts to a perfect shade for you, and requires only your ring finger as a tool) and it was a deluxe free sample. Blush is one of those products that is really up to you how much to spend, as there are good products at both the high and low price point. One thing to remember about more expensive blush is that while you shell out more money in the short run, the color is usually more concentrated so it ends up lasting longer.
My pick: Smashbox O-Glow Intuitive Cheek Color
Thrifty option: CoverGirl TruBlend Minerals Blush

Eyeshadow
Confession: I am not a fan of drugstore eyeshadow. I personally find that the blendability, color payoff, and staying power are lacking. However, this does not mean you have to totally break the bank to get a good product. There are middle of the road-priced eyeshadows that work just as well as the most expensive products and don't put too big a dent in your wallet.
My pick: Sephora Collection eyeshadows - they include cream, baked, and regular versions and are very affordable for the quality and variety (they have great sets and palettes.) They really do not cost more than a few dollars above drugstore prices and it is so worth it.
Pricer pick: Chanel Illusion de Ombre Longwear Luminous Eyeshadow
Thrifty option: I don't feel comfortable endorsing anything I wouldn't use, and I just would not use drugstore eyeshadow.

Eyeliner
Again, this is where I go with the middle-priced product. I find that drugstore eyeliners either tug at the skin, or run like FloJo at the Olympics. Likewise, some more expensive versions that come with all kinds of colors and guarantees don't work as well as promised (or as they should, for how much they cost.)
My pick: Clinique Quickliner for Eyes - it comes in tons of colors, glides on easily, stays put, self-sharpens, and has a great smudging tool on the other side of the liner. At $15.00, you can't ask for much more than that.
Pricier pick: Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner. It requires a little bit of practice to get the hang of, but the colors are outstanding and it does.not.move. Seriously, you could go swimming while wearing this stuff.
Thrifty option: CoverGirl LineExact Liquid Liner. If you really can't bear the thought of parting with much more than a few bucks for eyeliner, I have used this with success.

Mascara
This is where my makeup artist friend is going to pummel me, but I am a huge sucker for pricier mascara. I have my reasons - namely that right now I am really into navy blue mascara, due to my super blonde hair and how navy walks the line between being more defining than brown, but less harsh than black. I think it also makes my blue eyes stand out more. However, I also am obsessed with making my eyelashes as long and thick as possible, and the brushes on the more expensive versions do this better, in my humble opinion. However, there are of course less expensive mascaras that work well, and some would argue equally as well, as the pricey options.
My pick: Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Singulier Exaggerated Lashes or DiorShow
Thrifty Option: Maybelline The Falsies Mascara
*Note - I have tried the much trumpeted Loreal Millionlashes mascara, and honestly I was not really that impressed. Again though, I am obsessed with having Kim Kardashian-like eyelashes.

Lipcolor
Shocker - I go middle of the road with this one. I personally find that less expensive products (especially lipstick) lack the consistency and finish I prefer, which is creamy and satiny. Also, I think that many very expensive lip products pricey nature comes from their excessive, albeit beautiful, packaging; I'd rather put my money towards the actual product.
My pick: Clinique lip products across the board, but specifically their Butter Shine lipstick, Chubby Sticks, and Super Balm.
Pricier Pick: Chanel Rouge Coco Shine
Thrifty Option: Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm - don't let the balm title fool you, these have great color payoff and are super flattering.

I hope this helps a bit when making beauty product choices, especially when many of us have to make trade-offs with our dough : )

No comments:

Post a Comment