Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

This Bread is BANANAS!


Let's just establish this right now - I have a rather enormous sweet tooth. In fact, I'm surprised there is room for any other teeth in my mouth. Nothing makes me happier than getting to eat something sweet at breakfast, except when I get to eat it and feel NO guilt : ) Bethenny Frankel, who some may find jarring but I think is hilariously fantastic, brings us this recipe for banana bread that is somehow completely wholesome, yet also flavorful, moist, and delicious. It can easily be made vegan* (an option I love having) and is full of nutritious things like bananas (of course) and oat flour, as well as vegan chocolate chips (or regular if vegan scares you.) I take a herculean size slice of this bread and pair it with a hot cup of bold, black coffee, and my mornings become markedly better as my waistline becomes markedly slimmer.

Boo Boo Banana Bread


  • 1 cup raw sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter (regular or nondairy)
  • 1 cup mashed over ripe bananas (2 or 3)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • ¾ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips


Preparation

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of a loaf pan.
  4. Put it in the bottom of the pan and spray it with cooking spray. (S&S note: I have never done this. I just use Baker's Joy spray)
  5. Pour in the batter and cover it loosely with foil.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes.
  7. Remove foil, then bake for another 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean (moist crumbs are fine).
  8. Cool completely, then slice and serve.

* For the vegans, simply use non-dairy butter and substitute 1/4 c. smooth applesauce for the egg. It works wonderfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment