Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Potatoes + Pasta = Love

I am approximately two months away from graduating with my Masters from Georgetown University - the last two months in what has been a two and a half year odyssey filled with learning, friends, revelations, pain, fun, and stress. I also work a full-time, legit, grown-up job. Suffice it to say, my life is CRAY-ZAY right now!

So tonight, while desperately trying to come up with a fast dinner that didn't arrive at my plate via an automobile with a pizza company sign attached to the roof (ah em, Papa John's, you have my heart) I took comfort in an old friend. An old friend of the frozen-potato-pasta variety. The humble yet also magnificent pierogi. While some may scoff at their simplicity* these Polish pockets of carbohydrates are an unsung hero of the freezer, in my opinion. They keep forever, are ready in the time it takes to boil water (ok maybe 5 minutes more) and can be made into completely different meals. The traditionalist in me will always like them best with butter, sour cream, and onions; however, of late I have been pairing them with chopped fresh dill, and tonight I went with Herbs de Provence. A hot, inexpensive dinner in a few minutes with virtually no work involved that didn't involve an envelope of frightening orange powder**? A salve for my stress-tortured soul.

*None of these people are Polish or from my hometown of Pittsburgh. These people have experienced homemade pierogies, which are vastly superior to the frozen variety but completely undo the whole "fast, easy" concept I was seeking.

** I absolutely refuse to refer to this substance as cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment